As I informed you I played Gypsy woman in my camper Pattys Wagon in Devon , Cornwall and Ireland with my four footed companion Jolly . It was a wonderful experience. For a part of the journey we travelled alone, it was very special meeting many lovely people on the way.
Since my return I have enjoyed the summer in Amsterdam with a few trips in our beautiful country, now I am preparing a trip to Ile de Rhe , home of the Fleur de Sel.
this time a few happy snaps and a few favourite recipes for Saffron, I just read an article in my English Country Living, that it is now been cultivated again in England for the first time in 200 years. Guess where near Saffron Waldon
I may be making this one in Ile de The as they have the most delicious ecrivisee.
the broad beans may well be finished though
Home made pasta with crayfish tails, summer vegetables and a lemon and tomato salsa
300 g fresh pasta
150 g flour 00
150g semolina fine 1 lemon cut in fine julienne
3 eggs 450 g ripe Italian tomatoes or tros tomatoes
2½ dl olive oil
1 egg cup of water 6 fresh cloves of garlic
5 stems of saffron 20 basil leaves
10g salt fine sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
Baby carrots (if desired)
25 g butter
- Soak the saffron in the egg cup of hot water for ten minutes
- Place all the ingredients for the pasta in the bowl of the food processor and process until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. When squeezed between the fingers the mixture will stick together too a dough .If necessary add a little extra water
- Knead the mixture to a smooth dough, leave under an upturned bowl to rest
- Roll the dough out thinly or use a pasta machine .Cut the dough into tagliatelle from 2 mms wide
- Wash the lemon, remove the peel with a potato peeler and cut it into very fine julienne (you may if you wish blanch the lemon for a less tart taste
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters and remove the pips, place the pips in a sieve and retain the juices Cut the tomato flesh into concasse, (fine dice)
- Peel the garlic and cut on a fine slicer or with a sharp knife into very thin slices
- Mix the tomatoes, tomato juices and garlic with the oil, tear the basil leaves or cut into a chiffonade and add to the mixture. Leave to stand so that the flavours will blend together. Season to taste
- Blanch the vegetables in boiling salted water until “al dente” TO THE BITE . Stop the cooking process by plunging in cold water
- Place the crayfish tails in a pan of boiling water or court bouillon. Bring to the boil and remove almost immediately from the water or fry very quickly in a little olive oil with a nut of butter and seasoning
- Boil the water for the pasta and cook the pasta to al dente remember fresh pasta cooks very quickly season with alt and freshly ground pepper. Toss in the lemon and tomato salsa.
- Heat the vegetables in a hot pan or wok for a few seconds in a little oil or butter with some seasonings
- Serve the pasta and top with the vegetables and the crayfish .Use a little chervil for garnish if desired